Intuit’s QuickBooks accounting software has been around for almost two decades and has a huge fan following among CPAs, bookkeepers, and business owners. However, for those who are new with the QuickBooks software, several doubts may creep up from time to time. So, from QuickBooks Desktop to hosted QuickBooks on cloud, we have attempted to answer some of the most common queries. Here’s everything you need to know:
1. What is Quickbooks?
QuickBooks is an accounting software package that was designed and developed by Intuit to simplify accounting for small and medium-sized businesses, individuals, and professional accountants.
2. How many QuickBooks versions and editions are there?
QuickBooks Pro and Premier versions were released in 2000, whereas QuickBooks Enterprise followed in the year 2002, particularly targetting the medium-sized businesses. In the year 2003, Intuit started to offer industry-specific versions of QuickBooks to meet with the varying needs of all types of businesses. Considering the elaborate list of features of the accounting software, selecting the right version and edition of QuickBooks can be a substantial investment for you. There are five versions of QuickBooks, namely:
QuickBooks for Mac
Users can choose from QuickBooks US, UK, Canada, or Australian version depending upon their geographical location and business type. However, some features may differ depending upon the version you choose.
3. Can I host QuickBooks in the cloud? Or Is QuickBooks cloud-based? Or Is there a cloud-based QuickBooks? Or How do I turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks?
Yes. QuickBooks is a cloud-friendly software, which means users can host their chosen edition and version of QuickBooks on remote servers with the help of cloud vendors and amplify the functionality of their desktop accounting software.
4. What is QuickBooks Hosting? Or What is QuickBooks cloud hosting?
QuickBooks hosting simply means that the original desktop software is installed on third-party servers that are located remotely, in a far off location. The data centers that house these servers are situated in carefully chosen locations, particularly to ensure that the data centers are not situated in a disaster-prone area.
5. How can I host my QuickBooks?
To host your QuickBooks software in the cloud, the first and foremost step is to find an ideal hosting provider. There are a plethora of cloud vendors out there, but selecting the best QuickBooks hosting provider is important to ensure that your accounting practice benefits from your decision to migrate into the cloud.
6. What are the requirements to host QB on the cloud?
The requirements are minimal. First of all, to host your QuickBooks on the cloud, you need to have the QuickBooks software that you wish to host. You can install all versions of QuickBooks on a server, be it Pro, Premier, Enterprise, or POS.
The next step is to find the best QuickBooks hosting provider. An ideal cloud vendor should have experience in hosting your QuickBooks software on the cloud.
Lastly, you need to have a budget for migration. Although QuickBooks hosting is affordable for small and mid-sized businesses, you must assure that you can accommodate any additional expenses, just in case.
7. How much does QuickBooks hosting cost?
With basic QuickBooks hosting plans starting from as low as $33 per month per user, QuickBooks hosting pricing is quite affordable. You can check QuickBooks hosting pricing in detail here.
8. What are the benefits of hosting QuickBooks on cloud?
Here’s why you should move your QuickBooks on the cloud:
- Anytime, anywhere access to data stored on the software
- Multi-user collaboration in real-time
- Enhanced data security
- Greater scalability and flexibility
- Ability to work on-the-go
9. How many users can I add on QuickBooks?
It depends on the QuickBooks software you are using. QuickBooks Pro offers a three-user license, Premier offers a five-user license, and with Enterprise you get five to thirty user licenses.
10. Is QuickBooks available on the cloud? Or Can QuickBooks be accessed remotely? Or Is there a cloud version of QuickBooks?
Yes, QuickBooks is available on the cloud. There are plenty of QuickBooks hosting providers out there and you can choose one depending upon your business needs and requirements.
11. Is QuickBooks for accountants free? Or Is there a free version of QuickBooks?
No, QuickBooks for accountants is not free. However, you can always take a free trial of the software by Intuit before making your final purchase. Users planning to migrate into the cloud can also go for a free trial period offered by their QuickBooks hosting provider.
12. How do I set up QuickBooks Hosting?
By hosting your QuickBooks on the cloud, you can access your work documents from anywhere, at any time, on a third party server. There are plenty of QuickBooks hosting providers in the market who come with decent experience and required resources to make it easier for you to work on-the-go.
13. Can you install QuickBooks on a cloud server?
Yes, QuickBooks is a cloud-friendly accounting software and can be installed on a cloud server.
14. Can I host my own QuickBooks?
Yes, if you have your own QuickBooks desktop CD and want to move to a cloud-setup, you can host your own QuickBooks. A QuickBooks hosting provider can do it for you.
15. Can you access QuickBooks remotely? Or Can I install QuickBooks on a server?
Yes, you can access QuickBooks remotely by hosting it on the cloud.
16. Is QuickBooks a yearly subscription?
QuickBooks has both monthly and yearly subscription plans. The plans for QuickBooks Desktop, Online, and QuickBooks hosting differ and you need to check accordingly.
17. How do I update my QuickBooks server?
To update your QuickBooks server, you can follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Help menu
- Click on Update QuickBooks option
- Choose the update you wish to install
18. How do I set up a QuickBooks server to host multi-user access?
Here are the easy steps to install a multi-user network for your QuickBooks desktop:
- Open your QuickBooks desktop software
- Click on the File menu
- Select Multi-User mode from the list and select Yes
If you wish to switch between modes, follow the steps:
- Go to File menu on your QuickBooks software
- Choose between Switch to Single-user Mode/ Switch to Multi-user Mode depending upon your requirement
19. Can I use QuickBooks on 2 computers?
Yes, it is possible to install QuickBooks on 2 computers with a single user license. However, you might need to provide the product and license number when prompted. You can install the QuickBooks software on one desktop and one portable device, on two desktop computers, or on two portable devices, as is suitable.
The list of QuickBooks questions, doubts, and queries is endless. Also, the volatile nature of the accounting industry encourages Intuit to keep accounting software up-to-date. This sometimes makes it difficult for users to keep up. However, in this writeup, we have attempted to address some of the most frequently asked QuickBooks questions for you. For those who are relatively new with QuickBooks, a little practice will help you realize how user-friendly and easy-to-navigate the software is.