With so many changes occurring in the present time, remote work is being considered the trend of the future. In fact, without even realizing, we are already using remotely hosted software on our tablets and smartphones. Remote hosting is considered one of the core advantages of the cloud as it takes away the stress and added work of handling numerous software and hardware. In fact, a majority of businesses find remote hosting to be the model solution.
So, without any further ado, let’s jump into and learn the fundamentals of remote desktop working and how businesses are profiting from it.
Overview of Remote Hosting or Remote Desktop Hosting
Remote desktop hosting is referred to be a methodology that houses files, databases, and applications on data center servers instead of directly storing it into your laptops, personal computers, or nearby hardware. Several small businesses also recognize it as terminal server hosting.
Whenever you wish to access any file or run an application, you simply require logging into your remote server. You can do so through the cloud and access your required data or software. A few examples of it include:
- Windows Office
- Accounting programs
- Custom access databases applications
The hosted application of the hosting platform has a built-in centralization that allows the IT departments to deploy data directly to the users and departments, restore data, back up the stored data, update each application, and also add and authorize users.
In simple words, remote desktop hosting allows you to access the “host” computer remotely over the internet. You can then have control of the system and autonomy to utilize the resources and data hosted on that system.
What is Remote Host and Local Host?
Remote host refers to that specific host you want to connect to with the help of your local host. Comparatively, the local host is that host to whom you are directly connected, i.e., your system.
Example – You are using your laptop and your colleague is working on another system. Here your laptop is the local host and your colleague’s system is the remote host. Suppose, your colleague’s IP address is 192.168.1.1 and yours is 192.168.1.2. when you are in the same network and you are accessing your colleague’s IP address and is extracting data from his/ her system, you are doing it with the help of remote-control operation.
How does Remote Desktop Hosting Work?
The working methodology of remote desktop hosting is based on virtualization technology. The computer desktop environment is duplicated in the hosting server platform and a ‘virtual desktop’ is created. In the remote server, your virtual desktop is stored and it is from there you or your colleagues can access your files from any place or any time of the day.
To explain on a simplistic level, the working of remote desktop hosting is similar to using remote-controlled software. As most of you are working from home, no external hardware of setup is made at your place. Yet, you can access your company files or several employees can work together on the same project whose data is stored on the server.
Remote desktop hosting allows people to log in to the server without any geographical restriction and:
- Access company information
- Submit reports
- Update files
Working of Remote Desktop Hosting
Major Benefits of Remote Hosting
Similar to the Cloud providing various solutions, remote hosting offers you several benefits.
1. Effortless Integration
Remote hosting, irrespective of hardware or software type, allows easy integration between various platforms.
2. Simplified Support
Support is as important as the maintenance of the remote hosting model. The main support task is taken care of by the hosting service providers, relieving you (the customers) to focus on your business without hustling with numerous software.
Instead of you, figuring out everything, your remote desktop hosting provider addresses and configures problems, even if it is about the processing of newly released patches.
Money is no doubt an elementary factor when it comes to acquiring a hosting service plan. It is a fact that accessing business-related software is a smart and affordable option if it is done by means of remote hosting service. Remote hosting helps you to cut down on expensive software licenses, which stem from concurrent user models.
Even though the charges of a few remotely hosted application plans are dependent on the number of users, your business will not suffer on monetary grounds. The amount is calculated based on the user invoice. So, you need not worry about the number of licenses (approximately) that you may require for your entire staff.
This simply means – low expenditure and no guesswork. Added to this, you don’t have to spend on locally hosting software infrastructure like:
- Network materials
4. Low Risk
On a generic level, you will find remote hosting to be offered as a pay-as-you-go model. It acts as a flexible option as you pay only for the services and hosting plan that you have chosen. If you compare the starting investment related to hardware or software purchase, the flexibility from using remote desktop hosting ensures a low financial risk.
5. Minimum Maintenance
Suppose you are allowing a different organization “B” to host your data, application, and software to be hosted in their data center or server room. Now it becomes “B” s responsibility to maintain tasks like:
- Replace failed hardware
- Address issues and eliminate those
- Execute updates and patches
- Maintain server space, etc.
Similarly, your remote desktop hosting provider takes care of such maintenance aspects without you having to allocate any designated team for the same.
How to Choose Remote Hosting Provider or Remote Hosting Service?
Choosing a trustworthy and cost-effective remote hosting service or provider is no doubt a tough nut to crack. So here we have highlighted a few aspects with the assistance of which you can figure out how to choose a good remote hosting provider.
1. Mobile Access
Look for service providers who can offer you the facility to access the virtual desktop’s control panel with a mobile device so that you can utilize ‘work on the go’ facility.
2. Security Services
Rummage around for a reliable remote desktop hosting provider who can offer these security features:
- Automated backup and recovery solutions
- Data encryption
- Strong password policy
- Two-factor authentication
Also, check for their enterprise-level security measures and see if they are offering security protections related to:
- End-to-end encryption
3. Data Centre
It is imperative that you enquire about your preferred hosting service provider’s data center. Check if they are HIPAA compliant and are SSAE-16 Type II (SOC-1/SOC-2) audited.
4. Testimonials and Online Reviews
Reviews and testimonials from other users can give you first-hand information on how your preferred hosting service providers are good or bad with their service provisions. Going through their reviews can give you a better idea of the hosting provider’s reputation and assist you to compare and select the best service for yourself.
Uptime is a vital part of hosting services as it showcases the accessibility of hosted cloud service to end-users. The good uptime percentage should always be 99.5% or above it. If the percentage is below it, it is always advisable not to go for that hosting provider.
I. How do I create a remote server?
Here are the steps to create a remote server.
- For connecting to the host database with DBA authority, you need to use the SQL Anywhere 12 plug-in
- Navigate to the left pane and double-click on the option 'Remote Servers'
- Go to File, click on New and then select Remote Server
- A window will pop up. You need to fill in the field 'What Do You Want to Name the New Remote Server' by entering a name of your choice for the remote server
- Click Next
- When prompted, choose a remote server type and click on Next
- Now, choose a type of connection
- Enter details in the field 'What Is the Connection Information'
- For JDBC, type 'computer-name:port-number'
- For ODBC, specify the ODBC Driver = parameter or give a data source name
- Click on the option Next
- You need to specify is you want to go for the read-only option for the remote server
- Click Next
- When prompted 'Create an External Login for The Current User', click on it and fill up the necessary fields.
- To check if the remote server connection is connected successfully, click on Test Connection
- Finally, click on Finish
II. What is the fastest remote software?
There are many fast working remote desktop software available in the market, and amongst them, the below software are the highly preferred ones by enterprises.
- RemoteUtilities for Windows
- Remote Desktop Manager
- Connectwise Control
- Zoho Assist
- Chrome Remote Desktop
- Parallels Access
- LogMeIn Pro
III. How do I create an RDP?
There are basically two ways to create remote desktop connections.
1. Creation of New Windows Shortcut
- Go to your windows desktop and right-click on the screen.
- When the list opens, choose the ‘New’ option.
- From the new list, choose ‘Shortcut’
- A popup page ‘Create Shortcut’ will open, to which you need to enter the command “mstsc /v:” and the IP for your Remote Desktop Server
- Now, click ‘Next’
- Give the shortcut a name and save it
2. .rpd file created via saving an RDP configuration (GUI)
- Download Remote Desktop Connection from Microsoft (Mac). For Windows desktop, directly click on the start button and write ‘Remote’ and give a space. This will open the remote desktop connection window
- At the bottom left you can find the “Show Options’ option
- Click on Show Options. This will expand the window
- Now, click on ‘Save As’
- You will get several options related to the RDP connection
- Save the settings and you will get a .rpd file
So, that’s it, folks! Here is the complete guide to remote desktop hosting where we have tried to cover every nitty-gritty of the same. If you still have queries or would like to opt for remote hosting services, feel free to contact our hosting specialists at +1-855-922-7243 for quick and effective resolution.