During accounting sessions, no one wants to be stopped or halted by a bug or an error. Today we are here to help you troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6123,0 for QuickBooks desktop version.
Follow these simple steps to efficiently deal with an error that pops up:
These are just a couple of easily feasible steps that you can follow, we will take you through how to fix this by closing some programs or modifying your company file.
We’re going to deal with the errors in 2 different situational sections, namely- “If you see the error while opening/upgrading your file OR If you see the error while restoring your file OR while restoring a backup (.qbb) on a new computer.
Let’s start with the first one:
If you see Error -6123,0 while opening or upgrading your company file
Step 1: To get started:
- You must remove any special characters from the file name
- Ensure that your file name doesn’t exceed 30 characters without space.
Step 2: Now you have to download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub, it helps to fix common errors.
- Start by closing QuickBooks.
- Then download the QuickBooks Tools Hub file and save the file somewhere, where it’s easy to find.
- Now you have to open the file you downloaded I.E QuickBooksToolsHub.exe and follow the steps to install it by agreeing to terms and conditions.
- When you’re done with the installation, double-click this icon on your Windows desktop to open the tools hub.
Now, if you can’t directly find this icon, perform a quick windows search for QuickBooks Tools Hub and select the program.
Step 3: Here you just have to run “QuickFix my Program”
- Go to the QuickBooks Tools Hub and select Program Problems.
- After that, select “QuickFix my Program”. It will just take about a minute to run, but if you do have multiple versions of QuickBooks installed, it might take longer.
- When QuickFix my Program is completed, just open QuickBooks and verify that your issue is fixed, which it should be by now, but if not, then just follow up to step 4.
Step 4: Run the File Doctor
If QuickFix my Program didn't work, File Doctor can also be used to repair your company file. What File Doctor does is, it automatically scans and fixes common QuickBooks Desktop data issues.
- Select Company File Issues. in the QuickBooks Tools Hub, and Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- As the QuickBooks File Doctor opens, you have to choose your company file from the? drop-down menu. In case you don't see it, select Browse to search your computer’s database for your desired file. The file will look like : [your company name].qbw.
- Now, Select Check your file, then Continue.
- After that, you’ll have to enter your QuickBooks admin password, and then select Continue. The File Doctor will now start repairing your file. This may take a little while.
- When the repair is done, just select your company from the list, and select Open QuickBooks.
If you can open your file without any issue, the consider everything to be fixed. Don’t forget to make a backup of your company file once you're able to open it.
For any further assistance, feel free to reach out to our QuickBooks Support Team.
Now coming to the 2nd situational error:
If you see Error -6123,0 while restoring your company file
Step 1: Remove special characters from the file name
It is very important that your company file name is less than or 30 characters and that it contains no special characters.
Step 2: Restore your company file
If you’re restoring your company file from a backup (.qbb):
- For starters, move the backup file to your local hard drive and do not open them from an online storage folder or a removable drive.
- Follow the steps to restore your company file in backup:
- go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company. in QuickBooks.
- Then select Restore a backup copy and then Next.
- Followed by, Select Local Backup and then Next.
- Now, you have to browse your computer for your backup company file. It will look like : [Your company name].qbb.
- As the next step, you just have to select a folder to decide where to save your restored company file.
- Then select Open.
Note: If you open the backup data in the same folder as your existing company file, you might end up overwriting your data. To avoid this, you can rename your existing company file or the backup so that the names are unique and you do not get confused. You can also save the backup in a completely separate folder.
- When you're ready, then just select Save. If any messages are shown about possible overwriting of your data, then select the option that best fits your needs. Please don't overwrite anything unless you know you want to.
Following these steps should have helped you in troubleshooting your QuickBooks error
Now, let’s move to our final situational error:
If you see Error -6123, 0 while restoring a backup (.qbb) on a new computer
You have to create a portable company file (.qbm) and use it to restore your company file.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the same computer as the one used to create the backup company file.
- Then open your original company file and create a portable copy of your company file.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the new computer.
- Then just restore your company file using the portable copy (.qbm) instead of the backup, and Voila! You’re done.
Still having doubts?
If you still see face issues, which we hope you would not, but if you do then reach out to us on our QuickBooks customer support number 1-801-610-6141 for any additional fixes.