Intuit, a company known for its small-business accounting and tax-filing software, will pay $12 billion in cash and stock to acquire Mailchimp. Last year, Intuit bought Credit Karma, a personal finance platform, for over $7 billion. But Mailchimp acquisition is Intuit’s largest-ever and is expected to finalize in the second quarter of fiscal 2022. It will finance with cash on hand and $4.5 billion to $5.0 billion in new debt.
The acquisition of Atlanta-based Mailchimp, which provides a marketing platform will allow Intuit to improve its QuickBooks spending tracking tool. The deal comes when financial companies like Intuit benefit from a business recovery following the pandemic. For the fiscal year 2022, Intuit expects earnings and revenue to be higher.
Table of Contents
- About Intuit
- About Mailchimp
- Why did Intuits Acquire Mailchimp
- Transaction Details
- Benefits of Intuit Mailchimp Collaboration
Scott Cook and Tom Proulx founded Intuit in 1983, went public ten years later, and now employ over 10,000 people in 20 offices across nine countries. Intuit is a worldwide technological platform that assists customers and communities with their most essential financial issues. With TurboTax, QuickBooks, Mint, and Credit Karma, the company serves over 100 million customers globally.
Mailchimp, bought by Intuit, was started as an email marketing company in Atlanta in 2001. Since then, it has grown into a global leader in customer interaction and marketing automation, fueled by a robust, cutting-edge AI-driven technology stack. The business has been profitable without external funding and has over 12 million customers worldwide.
A comprehensive marketing platform for small and medium businesses. It is also one of the most suitable marketing platforms for almost any kind of business as Mailchimp pricing is reasonable. With world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer service, and engaging content, Mailchimp helps millions of customers establish and develop their businesses.
Mailchimp login places your audience at the center of your marketing. It allows you to promote your brand digitally across email, social media, landing pages, advertisements, and websites—all from one location. It is trusted by millions of businesses and individuals, from small businesses to corporations, to help them connect with their customers.
The company will remain based in Atlanta, Georgia, and operate under its current brand following the acquisition.
- With 13 million overall users, 2.4 million monthly active users, 800,000 paid clients worldwide, and 50% of customers outside the United States, the company has a global customer reach.
- Seventy billion contacts and 250+ rich partner integrations provide data and technology.
Read this also: Top 200+ QuickBooks Integration or Add-ons You Must Try
Why Did Intuit Acquire Mailchimp
Mailchimp can take Intuit technology at scale forward with global customer reach. Also, Intuit Mailchimp will build an innovative end-to-end customer growth program for small and medium businesses. Enabling them to get their business online, market their company, and maintain customer relationships. As well as offer benefits like perspectives and analytics, access capital, and maximizing cash flow to stay organized and compliant while working with experts.
Sasan Goodarzi, the CEO of Intuit, says they are focusing on powering prosperity worldwide for customers and small businesses.
Collaborating Mailchimp and QuickBooks will help solve the most significant barriers to the growth and development of businesses. As businesses will be able to combine their customer data easily from Mailchimp and QuickBooks purchase data to gain the insights they need for growth.
Ben Chestnut, the CEO and the Co-founder of Mailchimp says that they have expanded and evolved Mailchimp’s platform to help millions of small businesses worldwide over the past two decades.
With Intuit, they have found a shared passion for empowering small businesses. Mailchimp aims to take its offerings to the next level and leverage Intuit’s AI-driven expert platform to produce even better products and services for small businesses. Besides, Intuit and Mailchimp have always tried to solve the problems of SMBs.
Even though two-thirds of small businesses struggle to attract new customers, and over 25% struggle to keep existing customers. And over three-quarters of small businesses have not implemented a customer relationship management solution.
84% of small firms balance their inventory across channels using pen and paper or spreadsheets. In comparison, 50% of small enterprises fail due to cash flow issues within the first five years.
These issues create barriers to small and medium business success, which Intuit’s acquisition of Mailchimp will help overcome.
- For the fiscal year 2022, the deal is estimated to be accretive to Intuit’s non-GAAP earnings per share.
- Intuit has agreed to pay a total price of around $12 billion for Mailchimp, subject to regular adjustments in such transactions.
- The overall consideration includes an estimated $300 million in Mailchimp employee transaction incentives, which will be paid out in restricted stock units and expensed over three years.
- The remaining consideration will be split roughly evenly between cash and Intuit common stock, with the shares of Intuit common stock valued at $562.61 per share.
- As of the signing date, the price per share was set. However, between the signing date and the closing date, the value of these shares will fluctuate depending on the stock price changes.
- Intuit expects to fund the cash consideration with cash on hand and new debt totaling $4.5 billion to $5.0 billion. Intuit’s existing dividend and share repurchase policies do not expect to be affected by the transaction.
- The transaction is supposed to be finished by Intuit’s second fiscal quarter in 2022, pending regulatory approvals and the fulfillment or waiver of other standard closing conditions.
Benefits of Intuit Mailchimp Collaboration
According to experts from Intuit and Mailchimp, the acquisition will make it easier for users to plan advertising campaigns based on their integrated marketing and financial data.
- It also maximizes return on investment and attracts the best customers.
- The acquisition’s explicit goal is to provide small businesses with a comprehensive array of tightly connected accounting and marketing tools.
- QuickBooks has billions of data on small-business clients transactions with vendors and customers. But it still doesn’t offer a straightforward mechanism to use that information for marketing and communications. Hence, with Mailchimp’s integration, QuickBooks users can segment customers automatically or manually depending on various data criteria.
- Furthermore, having access to QuickBooks data on cash flow and budgeting will aid Mailchimp stock in assisting customers in selecting the best marketing channels for them and maximizing their returns.
- QuickBooks users will benefit from Mailchimp features such as appointment scheduling.
The companies have already started integrating their platforms. However, the details of the combined offers will be released later, according to the executives.
Both companies are committed to keeping their platforms open, implying that integrations between different platforms should continue to exist. The transaction will probably finish by the end of January 2022.
What will Intuit Do with Mailchimp
Intuit has collaborated with Mailchimp to smoothly deliver an innovative, customer-oriented, and prone to growth business platform for the benefit of SMBs.
What Type of Platform is Mailchimp
Mailchimp is a marketing platform, through which you can send campaigns related to your email marketing.