Choosing efficient accounting software for a business is as important as recruiting the best staff or opting for resourceful Quickbooks accounting hosting solutions. The features, specifications, and UI of the accounting software have a lot to contribute to the entire accounting experience. One of the most popular modes of usage of QuickBooks is QuickBooks hosting, which with time has proved to be an amplified version of the existing multi-user mode.
This is a feature inbuilt in QuickBooks, permitting multiple users to access the same company file at the same time. It also helps in enhancing collaboration and productivity. Nonetheless, it should be duly noted that every user who wishes to access the company file and utilize the multi-user mode in QuickBooks must have the QuickBooks license to do so.
We are aware of the fact that despite being a meticulous software, it is bound to face errors or glitches. Chances are quite less for users to be facing glitches like multi-user mode not working. This issue with QuickBooks desktop multiple users mode is faced by the user when they are trying to launch the company file located on another PC. In this case, the screen automatically displays QuickBook's multi-user mode not working.
Causes of Quickbooks Multi-User Mode Not Working
There can be several causes for this error of multi-user mode QuickBooks to appear, such as:
- QuickBooks may not be installed on the server.
- The hosting settings may not be configured properly.
- The antivirus or the firewall may not be allowing communication between user computers.
- QuickBooks company file is not being opened by the database server
- Windows file permissions were not set properly.
Pre-Conditions before fixing 'Multi-User Mode Not Working'
One might face the ‘QuickBooks multi-user mode not working’ problem even after completing the QuickBooks multi-user setup. This problem is generally associated with other errors such as H101, H202, H303, and H505.
Here are some steps and solutions which would help you in fixing this QuickBooks error.
Using QuickBooks File Doctor
You can start by downloading the QuickBooks File Doctor and apply the ‘Run’ command. This tool can be found on Intuit's website. This tool helps in analyzing whether the user’s computer is properly set up for using multi-user mode or not.
After giving the command to run the file doctor, the user should check if they are facing the same multi-user mode not working error.
How to Fix 'Multi-User Mode Not Working Error?
Step 1: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- As the first step, start by opening QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server computer
- Go to the Start menu and type ‘Database.’
- If no folder location is found, use the Browse option to go to the folder that stores the company file(s).
- Now, press the OK button. Follow it by clicking the Scan button.
If the above-given steps are followed word to word, the firewall permissions will get repaired.
Now, the user needs to check whether the multi-user mode not working problem has resolved or not. If not, users should follow the next step.
Step 2: Check Host Mode on each of the User Computers
- Now, open the QuickBooks File menu on the user computer, followed by opening utilities.
- Note that if Host Multi-User Access appears on the list, the user needs to move to the next computer. This simply denotes that the particular computer is not the system hosting the company file.
- If Stop Hosting Multi-User Access appears on the list, one has to disable hosting, followed by enabling QuickBooks single-user mode.
- Once it is ensured that hosting mode is off on all the user computers, one should scan for the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error.
Step 3: Check whether QuickBooks services are running
Make sure that Quickbooks DBXX (here XX is representing the year of QuickBooks) and QBCF Monitor Service is in running state on the server computer. To use the multi-user mode of QuickBooks services, follow the below pointers.
1. Initiate the first step by typing ‘services.msc’ in the windows search bar. Move ahead and press the Enter key.
2. Look out for QuickBooks DBXX service to appear in the Services window. If this does not appear, then follow these given steps –
- Make sure that the database server manager is installed on the server properly
- Look out for the corresponding, up-to-date Database Server Manager. As every year after the installation of QuickBooks Desktop on the user’s computer, the Manager also gets an upgrade.
- In case, the entire program is running on the computer, one needs to ensure that hosting is enabled on the server.
3. The next step should involve double-clicking the QuickBooks DBXX service. Once the service gets started, it should show either Running or Start option.
4. In the following step, select ‘Restart the QuickBooksDBXX Service’ for the first, second and subsequent failures under the Recovery tab.
5. Simply repeat the points 1,2,3, and 4 as mentioned above for the QBCF Monitor Service.
Having followed all the aforesaid steps, the user requires to open QuickBooks in multi-user mode on each of the work computers. This is to check if the ‘QuickBooks multi-user mode not working’ issue has been resolved or not.
If the problem persists and the error message appears, the user needs to check the membership of QuickBooks DBXX service. The membership service should have all the required permissions and it should be a part of the administrator group.
Step 4: Make sure QuickBooks can send data
1. This solution has to be followed in two steps:
- Start by changing the settings of antivirus software and the firewall.
- If the firewall is the cause of QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue, then the user would have to manually set up all the exceptions in the firewall. This should be basically for the ports that QuickBooks software uses for transmitting data.
- If the error is being caused by the antivirus, then it needs to be configured to resolve the issue.
2. As the second step of this solution, the user is required to perform file path testing to ensure whether QuickBooks can communicate with the server or not.
This can be done by following the below procedure:
- Enter the server name in the Run command section and click on the Enter button.
- After that, use the UNC path (Universal Naming Convention) from the user computer to navigate to the shared folder in the server.
- Make use of the UNC path to go to the QuickBooks company file.
Step 5: Create a new company file folder
- For this step to work, the user needs to create a new folder for the company file.this should be made on the host computer.
- Set up the folder and allow for windows to access permissions for the new folder. This should be done so that the company files can be shared across systems.
- As the final step, copy the .qbw file to the new folder and check if the company file in multi-user mode opening. If it successfully opens, the multi-user mode of QuickBooks, not a working problem has been resolved.
We are in anticipation that upon carefully following all the above steps in order, the QuickBooks error would have been successfully resolved. Errors are a part of any software. With our diligent troubleshooting team, we make sure that the user’s QuickBooks hosting experience isn’t altered at the cost of such errors.
We recommend taking a look at other error troubleshooting guides that we have curated to quickly solve any QuickBooks error that the user might face during their usage.